Welcome

Please feel free to read this blog and join in. I hope you will write something inspirational, inspiring, spiritual, controversial, amusing, engaging or just plain run of the mill. But please don't be brusque, churlish or licentious.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mindfulness

Tons of literature and videos have been published on mindfulness in recent years.  Scientific research has shown that the practice of mindfulness can help people with PTSD, decrease negative emotions, increase problem solving, decrease the effects of chronic stress, increase cellular viability, decrease brain deterioration, increase alpha power in the neocortex of the brain, decrease forgetfulness, increase concentration, decrease blood pressure, enhance awareness, and even increase intelligence.

Mindfulness is easy to learn, so why isn't everybody doing it?  Because it takes practice and it doesn't happen overnight. In the modern world of quick and instant, everybody wants immediate results.

I'm going to give you some quick and easy practices that you can do with no problem. What you do after that is up to you.

1. What is mindfulness?

Mindfulness is being in the present moment, not thinking of the past or the future, being right here, right now.  Enjoying every second of your precious life.

2. How do I practice mindfulness?

A) Take one raisin and smell it. Put it in your mouth and roll it around for one minute. Bite it into two pieces and continue rolling it around in your mouth. Bite it into four pieces. Let its taste "explode" in your mouth. Be aware of how your taste buds come alive and your saliva increases. When you swallow the raisin be aware of swallowing.

B) Sit for five minutes and focus on your breath going in and out of your nose. Feel your breath at the tip of your nose. Five minutes, that's all.

C) Go outside, on a clear night, and look up in the sky for two minutes.

D) Have a conversation with someone and really listen to what they are saying. Hear each word. Look them in the face and see if you can feel their concerns.

E)  Go from one room to another with the intention of getting one object like a shoe or a hat. As you are walking toward the room say, "I am going to get my shoe, I am going to get my shoe, I am going to get my shoe." Pick up the object and say, "I have my shoe."

F) Take a bath or shower and focus on what you are doing. Say to yourself things like, "The water is running now, I am washing my hair now, I am washing under my arms now, I am rinsing off now, I am stepping out of the bathtub now, I am drying off now."

 Take your new found awareness with you wherever you go. Create some new and wonderful ways to explore and practice being mindful. Most of all have fun.
    


No comments: