Welcome

Please feel free to read this blog and join in. I hope you will write something inspirational, inspiring, spiritual, controversial, amusing, engaging or just plain run of the mill. But please don't be brusque, churlish or licentious.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Panic Attack

I use to have panic attacks.  I first started having them when I was in grade school.  I was about eleven years old.  The first one was when the English teacher called on me to read something in class.  Before that I always liked to read in class.  From first grade to sixth grade I thought I had a good voice for reading and was proud to show it.  But this time my heart began pounding in me chest like a sledge hammer, I couldn't get enough oxygen into my lungs, I was gasping for each word trying to get enough air for the next.  Looking at the words on the page was like looking through a straw.  I was sweating, heart pounding, gasping, couldn't read.  I thought, "What is happening to me?"  I thought I was going to die.

After that terrible momentous occasion I never, ever volunteered to read anything in class.  I would sit in the back of the room hoping the teacher wouldn't call on me.  In high school I avoided classes that might make me read aloud and I dreaded speech class.  For me speech class was a nightmare.  How I ever got though that class is a miracle.  I don't know how I did it but I made it through college and graduate school.  I gave required talks in many, many classes in panic attack mode.  I thought I would get better with time.  I thought the panic attacks would lessen the more I gave talks.  It didn't happen.

How I got into teaching is another story.  I swore up and down I would never teach.  My passion was research.  Doing research I could work in the field and in the laboratory by myself.  I didn't have to give speeches or talks.  But that's not what God had in mind for me.  Vietnam war happened, all research money went into the war, and I ended up teaching in order to survive.  To my surprise I didn't have panic attacks in front of students.  But if a supervisor walked in it would hit me.  I now know it was the direction of energy flow.  While I was teaching, the energy flowed from me to the students.  It was not about me, it was about them.  I wanted them to learn.  But when I knew someone was objectively observing me, the energy went from them to me and panic would set in.

As a faculty member in college I was comfortably sitting in a faculty meeting one afternoon when the vice president called on me to give a report.  I stood up.  I couldn't speak, my heart was pounding in my throat, my vision blurred with tunnel vision, my legs got weak and I had to sit down.  I put my head down on the desk and wanted to die.  I felt completely humiliated in front of all my peers.  I thought, "Why is this happening to me?  I can't take this anymore."

Continued on next post.

No comments: