Welcome

Please feel free to read this blog and join in. I hope you will write something inspirational, inspiring, spiritual, controversial, amusing, engaging or just plain run of the mill. But please don't be brusque, churlish or licentious.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Why Are You You?

Have you ever wondered why you are you and not somebody else?  I'm not talking about nature and nurture but rather a deeper question that I have thought about often.

When I wake up in the morning I wonder why I am me.  There are about 7 billion people on earth now and it would be so easy to be someone else.  I mean, here I am with my own individual past, desires for the future, beliefs, values, and feelings. I'm looking out of two windows called eyes and see other people but I can't feel their feelings or sense their thoughts.

I have a sense of self that has never gone away. Although I am older, and hopefully wiser, I still have the feeling that I am me.  Biology tells us that we are not the same person we were 10 or even 5 years ago.  Cells are constantly dividing - new cells are replacing old and dying cells. When I look at a picture of myself when I was 12, 20, or even 30 years old it doesn't look like me, yet I feel the same.  Why am I me and why are you you?

No comments: