Welcome

Please feel free to read this blog and join in. I hope you will write something inspirational, inspiring, spiritual, controversial, amusing, engaging or just plain run of the mill. But please don't be brusque, churlish or licentious.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

I'm sorry I haven't posted to this blog for a week. My wife, daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter and I went to the Yoga Journal Conference in Estes Park, CO for 8 days. We had a blast. I had classes with many great yoga teachers such as Shiva Rea, Saul David Raye and many others. We hiked around Bear Lake in the Rocky Mountain National Park, up to the top of Alpine Peak, around Lily Lake and along the trail near Ouzel Falls in Wild Basin. On Thursday a heard of 20 elk crossed our path with the bull elk buggling and snorting, urging the females to hurry it up. It was quite a sight.

Due to the suggestion of Saul David Raye I bought a copy of The Upanishads and read it on the plane trip back. There are some 108 Upanishads but there are only 10 which come to be generally regarded as the principal Upanishads. They are Katha, Isha, Kena, Prasna, Mundaka, Mandukya, Taittiriya, Aitareya, Chandogya and Svetasvatara. These ten are regarded as the principal upanishads due to the work and persistant study of Shankara some 3,000 years ago. These ten upanishads constitute the primary object of attention for all who read and study Hindu scriptures.

The Upanishads are part of the Vedas, the oldest scriptures of India. The Upanishads are considered the most important part of the Vedas because of their ancient origin and being written by some of the wisest of the wise in India. The word upanishad means "sitting near devotedly." It refers to the highest and most secret teachings of these saints and seers.

So, I have been deverted from the Yoga Sutras due to reading The Upanishads but I promise I will get back to the Sutras tomorrow.

No comments: